Thanks so much to our new Northwood UMC family. You have welcomed us so very well, Scott and I already feel like part of the family. You are lively singers, even the 8:30 crowd. Not many 8:30 gatherings actually sing. I look forward to this "getting to know you" process. To those of you who I've met through other church connections, you made it seem like coming home. To those of you for whom this is our first introduction, thank you for your hospitality.
For all of us as we get to know each other, there are three rules which I am going to strive to live by among you. This is a new start for me, sort of like a New Year's resolution, how about a new church resolution. These three rules are really three old rules that John Wesley practiced.
- Do no harm
- Do good
- Stay in love with God
First, I am going to pay attention to everything I say and do lest I cause harm. I rarely get up in the morning out to do harm, but on occasion I do get up on the wrong side of the bed. Most of the harm I cause is a result of charging ahead to do what I believe to be good with out considering how it will affect others or how to accomplish it without running over others. I count of you as my church family help me in this way of living. One of realities of living and working together as a community even if that community desires to live as Christ, we will step on each others toes and we will bump into each other. The whole building process is going to be full of opportunities to disagree, miscommunicate, and stay ruffled OR if we all agree to do NO harm we will be willing to listen, to speak with kindness, and work to consensus. It is doubtful that we will all agree on everything, but we are people who believe in miracles and forgiveness. I believe it is God's will for this church to be healthy, lively, and joyful. We begin to live into that reality as we practice these three rules. Let's start with the first rule and agree to do no harm.
No comments:
Post a Comment